Thursday, April 3, 2008

Grilled Chicken with Peanut Ginger Sauce and Faux Mein

I have been really hesitant to try Tofu Shirataki Noodles for two reasons. One, I love yam noodles so much, why would I try anything else? And two, I've heard some really bad reviews of them, so I was scared. Well I decided to finally venture out and try them, and guess what! I love them! They are really similar to yam noodles, just a little bit less chewy. So I made a Faux Lo Mein with them (or Faux Mein, as I like to call it), based on Keith's original Lo Mein Recipe.



And to fill in the protein portion of the meal, I just grilled some thin sliced chicken breasts on the Foreman Grill (it's too cold to do it outside!), served with a super yummy Peanut Ginger Dipping Sauce. The sauce could also easily work with shrimp, pork or beef.

Here are the recipes: (FYI, the Faux Mein serves two, so double if you wish.)

Faux Mein

1 package Tofu Shirataki Noodles (spaghetti shaped)
1 cup savoy cabbage, finely shredded
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 to 1 tsp ginger, grated
1/2 tsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
dash of white pepper

  • Rinse the noodles thoroughly. Drain and dry very well in a very clean kitchen towel. Set aside.
  • Spray a skillet with a bit of olive oil. Saute garlic, ginger and cabbage until the cabbage is softened. (If the leaves are very tough, add a tablespoon or two of water, and cover so it can steam.)
  • Add fish sauce, oyster sauce, white pepper and noodles to the pan. Stir and heat through, being careful not to overcook.
  • Enjoy!

Peanut Ginger Dipping Sauce

3 Tbsp peanut butter (I used creamy, but chunky would work too.)
2 tsp granulated sugar
2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced and mashed to a paste
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 1/4 tsp rice wine vinegar

  • Mix peanut butter, sugar, garlic and ginger until well blended.
  • Whisk in water, soy sauce and vinegar until smooth. If you would like a thinner sauce, whisk in more water, one teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
  • Serve as a dipping sauce with whatever your heart desires!

Here's the finished meal:

No comments: